Covington Catholic teen sues for dollar 275MILLION Daily Mail Online

By | October 13, 2019


Covington Catholic teen sues for dollar 275MILLION Daily Mail Online The Covington Catholic teenager who was vilified over a viral clip of a face off with a Native American activist has sued CNN for dollar 275million over its coverage of the incident. Attorneys for 16 year old Nicholas Sandmann filed the federal lawsuit on Tuesday in the Eastern District of Kentucky, seeking dollar 75million in compensatory and dollar 200million in punitive damages. Sandmann was widely portrayed as a racist over a January 18 video clip of him wearing a Make America Great Again hat and standing face to face with Nathan Phillips, who claimed hed been surrounded and abused by the group of Catholic teens who were on a school trip. Extensive video told a very different story, however, indicating that the teens had been abused with racist and homophobic slurs by a group of Black Hebrew Israelites, before Phillips waded into the middle of the school group with his drum.  Nick Sandmann left on January 18 sued CNN for dollar 275M on Tuesday over the networks controversial coverage of his interaction with activist Nathan Phillips right CNN boss Jeff Zucker is seen at SXSW on March 9. Sandmann says the network defamed him in order to pursue an anti Trump agenda and smear the presidents supporters Sandmanns lawyer L Lin Wood discussed the impending lawsuit on Fox News, saying that he believed CNN had done greater damage to his clients reputation than the Washington Post In the , Sandmanns attorneys allege that CNN was blinded by political bias, and defamed the teen in a quest to smear President Donald Trump and his supporters. CNN brought down the full force of its corporate power, influence, and wealth on Nicholas by falsely attacking, vilifying, and bullying him despite the fact that he was a minor child, the complaint stated. The filing claims that CNN failed to do its basic journalistic duty by propagating false claims about Sandmann. CNN ignored the facts and put its anti Trump agenda first in waging a 7 day media campaign of false, vicious attacks against Nicholas, a young boy who was guilty of little more than wearing a souvenir Make America Great Again cap while on a high school field trip, the complaint states. The court filing says that CNN, in multiple broadcasts and online articles, falsely accused Sandmann of instigating a threatening confrontation with several African American men the Black Hebrew Israelites and subsequently instigating a threatening confrontation with Native Americans who were in the midst of prayer following the Indigenous Peoples March at the National Mall. In fact, it was Nicholas and his CovCath classmates who were bullied, attacked, and confronted with racist and homophobic slurs and threats of violence by the Black Hebrew Israelites, a recognized hate group, before being unexpectedly confronted by Phillip, an activist, who proceeded to target Nicholas while chanting and beating a drum inches from his face and being flanked by activists companions filming the event, the complaint states. Both Nick Sandmann left and Nathan Phillips right have said they were attempting to defuse the situation when the confrontation was filmed A spokesperson for CNN did not immediately respond to a message from DailyMail.com late on Tuesday. Sandmanns latest suit seeks even higher damages than one previously filed against the Washington Post, which asked for dollar 50million in compensatory damages and dollar 200million in punitive damages. After the suit was filed, the Post issued an editors note on its controversial coverage, in which it admitted that its initial coverage of the encounter was flawed.    Subsequent reporting, a students statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story, the note said.  One of Sandmanns lawyers, L. Lin Wood, explained in an interview last week that he believed CNN had done even greater damage to his clients reputation than the Washington Post.  CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals homes, Wood told .     They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false, Wood added.  A private investigative firm hired by the Covington Diocese and Covington Catholic High School concluded that the students did not instigate the confrontation file photo On Tuesday, another of Sandmanns attorneys, Todd McMurtry, suggested that the lawsuits may not end with CNN. McMurtry told  that theyre also “looking very closely” at NBC, the Associated Press and HBO “for the conduct of Bill Maher” in covering the incident. He said the legal team is also of examining the Twitter posts of individual people, like Kathy Griffin, “who sent out these horrible tweets that are called doxxing.”  A private investigative firm hired by the Covington Diocese concluded that the students did not instigate the confrontation.  In a report released last month, Greater Cincinnati Investigation Inc said it found no evidence students made offensive or racist statements though it acknowledged that the students performed the tomahawk chop.    In a letter to parents, Covington Bishop Roger Foys said the students were placed in a situation that was at once bizarre and even threatening.  The immediate world wide reaction to the initial video led almost everyone to believe that our students had initiated the incident and the perception of those few minutes of video became reality, the bishop wrote. Students told investigators that they felt Phillips was coming into their group to join their own cheers, which were meant to drown out insults from the Black Hebrew Israelites. They claimed that they were confused but did not feel threatened by Phillips, the report said. We found no evidence of racist statements to Mr. Phillips or members of his group, the report said. Some students performed a tomahawk chop to the beat of Mr Phillips drumming and some joined in Mr Phillips chant.     The Washington Post issued this editors note in response to Covington Catholic teen Nicholas Sandmanns lawsuit:  A Washington Post article first posted online on Jan. 19 reported on a Jan. 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial.  Subsequent reporting, a students statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story — including that Native American activist Nathan Phillips was prevented by one student from moving on, that his group had been taunted by the students in the lead up to the encounter, and that the students were trying to instigate a conflict.  The high school student facing Phillips issued a statement contradicting his account; the bishop in Covington, Ky., apologized for the statement condemning the students; and an investigation conducted for the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School found the students accounts consistent with videos.  Subsequent Post coverage, including video, reported these developments: Viral standoff between a tribal elder and a high schooler is more complicated than it first seemed; Kentucky bishop apologizes to Covington Catholic students, says he expects their exoneration; Investigation finds no evidence of racist or offensive statements in Mall incident. A Jan. 22 correction to the original story reads: Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips said he served in the U.S. Marines but was never deployed to Vietnam. The comments below have not been moderated. By posting your comment you agree to our . Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. Well ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our . Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday Metro Media Group

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *